Guy T. Selander, M.D., Awarded Certificate of Merit
September 04, 2008
The Florida Medical Association awarded Guy T. Selander, M.D. the Certificate of Merit at its annual meeting in August, 2008. The FMA Certificate of Merit is the Associations highest award and is given by the House of Delegates. The selection is made by the FMA Board of Governors to those members who have rendered exceptional and outstanding service to the Association, to the medical profession and to the public over a period of years.
James B. Wood, President & CEO of Memorial Hospital, says Dr. Selander’s lifelong commitment to Jacksonville residents has made a positive impact on healthcare on the First Coast.
“Dr. Selander is a widely respected physician and Board of Trustees Chairman at Memorial Hospital,” Wood says. “Without the passion and guidance Dr. Selander provides our Board, we would not be as successful as we are today.”
Highlights included in the nomination of Dr. Selander include:
- President and co-founder of the Professionals Resource Network (PRN.) This network, founded in the late 1970s, was the first and is the largest physician health program of its kind in the country. Dr. Selander received the Federation of State Medical Boards prestigious Meritorious Service Award for his pioneering efforts in establishing PRN.
- President of the Duval County Medical Society, 1977-1978
- President of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians 1983-1984
- President of the Florida Medical Association, 1990-1991
- Speaker of the FMA House of Delegates, 1985-1989
- Chair of the Board of Trustees at Memorial Hospital
- Chair of the FMA Impaired Physicians Committee 1980-current
- Represented the FMA at the White House Conference on Drug Abuse in 1980
- Represented the FMA on councils including the Judicial Council, Council on Specialty Medicine, prescription Drug Abuse Committee, Delegate to the AMA and as a sustaining member of the FLAMPAC
- Respected Family Practice Physician in Jacksonville for over 40 years