(Giant Cell Arteritis)
- Giant cell arteritis (GCA)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Family history
- Polymyalgia rheumatica —a condition characterized by stiffness and pain in muscles of the neck, shoulders, lower back, hips, and thighs
- Scalp pain or tenderness over the temporal artery
- Fever or flu -like symptoms
- Pain when chewing
- Pain in the jaw or tongue
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Vision changes
- Aches in the joints or muscles
- Blood tests
- Biopsy —removal of a sample of the temporal artery
- Retinal exam
- Ultrasound of the temporal artery
Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Canadian Society of Otolaryngology http://www.entcanada.org
Giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/giant-cell-arteritis-and-polymyalgia-rheumatica.html . Updated November 2010. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Karahaliou M, Vaiopoulos G, Papspyrou S. Colour duplex sonography of temporal arteries before decision for biopsy: a prospective study in 55 patients with suspected giant cell arteritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R116.
Larsson K, Mellström D, Nordborg C, Odén A, Nordborg E. Early menopause, low body mass index, and smoking are independent risk factors for developing giant cell arteritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006;65:529-532.
Parikh M, Miller NR, Lee AG, et al. Prevalence of a normal c-reactive protein with an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate in biopsy-proven giant cell arteritis. Ophthalmology. 2006;113(10):1842-1845.
Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Polymyalgia/default.asp . Accessed August 7, 2013.
Smetana GW, Shmerling RH. Does this patient have temporal arteritis? JAMA. 2002; 287:92.
Temporal arteritis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated September 18, 2012. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Yellin AE, DeMeester TR. Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California. JAMA Surgery. 2004;139(11):1146-1147.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -