(Bacterial Sore Throat)
|Sore Throat Due to Inflammation|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Coughing and sneezing of people who have strep throat
- Touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Age: school-aged children
- Family member or friend who has strep throat
- Red, sore throat with white patches
- Painful, difficult swallowing
- Swollen, sore glands in the neck
- Nausea and possibly vomiting
- Decreased appetite
- Muscle aches, especially in the neck, and abdominal pains, especially in younger children
- Throat culture—Sample of throat secretions is cultured in the laboratory. It takes a few days to gets results.
- Rapid antigen strep screen—The results are available in minutes. The test is based on detection of antigens; however, a negative test does not exclude the diagnosis of strep throat.
- Rapid DNA test—Using DNA technology to detect strep throat, this test is as accurate as throat culture. The results are usually available in one day.
- Kidney damage (glomerulonephritis)
- Scarlet fever
- Rheumatic fever
- Tonsillitis or peritonsillar abscess
- Ear or sinus infection
Over-the-Counter Pain Medications
- Wash your hands carefully.
- Don't share beverages or food.
American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery http://www.entnet.org
About Kids Health http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery website. Available at: http://www.entnet.org . Accessed October 12, 2005.
Cecil RL, Goldman L, Bennett JC. Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 2000.
Ebell MH, Smith MA, Barry HC, Ives K, Carey M. Does the patient have strep throat? JAMA. 2000; 284:2912-2918.
Montagnani F, Stolzuoli L, Croci L, et al.Erythromycin resistance in Streptococcus pyogenes and macrolide consumption in a central Italian region. Infection. 2009 Aug;37(4):353-357.
Neuner JM, Hamel MB, Phillips RS, Bona K, Aronson MD. Diagnosis and management of adults with pharyngitis. A cost effectiveness study. Ann Intern Med. 2003;139:113-122.
Ressel G. Practice guidelines: principles of appropriate antibiotic use: part IV: acute pharyngitis. Am Fam Physician . 2001;64(5).
Strep throat. JAMA. 2000 Dec 13.
Strep throat. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260 . Accessed November 10, 2007.
Streptococcal pharyngitis. DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Accessed November 10, 2007.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/93/2012 -