Symptoms of Arrhythmias (Heart Rhythm Disturbances)
- Dizziness, sensation of lightheadedness
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Sensation of your heart fluttering (palpitations)
- Sensation of a missed or extra heart beat
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed. McGraw-Hill; 1998.
Kroenke K, Arrington ME, Mangelsdorff AD. The prevalence of symptoms in medical outpatients and the adequacy of therapy. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:1685.
Mayou R, Sprigings D, Birkhead J, Price J. Characteristics of patients presenting to a cardiac clinic with palpitation. QJM. 2003;96:115.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/ .
Zimetbaum P, Josephson ME. Evaluation of patients with palpitations. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1369.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/14/2014 -