Screening for Type 2 Diabetes
Screen adults of any age who are overweight or
with one or more of these risk factors:
- First-degree relative with diabetes
- Low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) (good) cholesterol level and high triglycerides levels
- High blood pressure
- History of diabetes during pregnancy (gestational diabetes) or having a baby weighing over nine pounds (4.1 kg)
- Having polycystic ovary syndrome or other conditions associated with insulin resistance
- Being inactive
- History of cardiovascular disease
- Belonging to an at-risk ethnic group (African American, Hispanic, Native American, Hispanic American, Asian American, or Pacific Islander)
- Previous blood test results that show HbA1c levels at 5.7% or higher, impaired glucose tolerance, and impaired fasting glucose
- Screen adults aged 45 and older with or without risk factors
Screen overweight children aged 10 years and older who have two or more of the following risk factors:
- Family history of diabetes
- Mother with diabetes or gestational diabetes
- Signs of insulin resistance or having a condition associated with insulin resistance
- At-risk ethnic background
|Diabetes||6.5% or higher|
|Diagnosis||Fasting Plasma Glucose Level|
|Prediabetes||100-125 mg/dL (5.6-6.9 mmol/L)|
|Diabetes||126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher|
|Prediabetes||140-199 mg/dL (7.8-11 mmol/L)|
|Diabetes||200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher|
Diabetes mellitus type 2. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated August 2, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Diabetes statistics. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/?loc=DropDownDB-stats. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Glucose. Lab Tests Online website. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/glucose/tab/test. Updated March 23, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Prediabetes. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated August 2, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
2/15/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php: American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes—2010. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(suppl 1:S11-61).
2/15/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php: American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(suppl 1:S62-69).
- Reviewer: Kim Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -