Conditions InDepth: Hypothyroidism
|The Thyroid Gland|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Subacute thyroiditis —This occurs when there is inflammation of the thyroid gland after a viral upper respiratory tract infection.
- Drugs —Drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism such as lithium (used to treat certain psychiatric disorders), certain cardiac medicines, and other medicines (interleukins, alpha interferon).
- Medical treatments —Treatments include radiation or surgical removal of part of the thyroid gland (called subtotal thyroidectomy) to treat other thyroid diseases.
- Idiopathic thyroid atrophy —The thyroid tissue shrivels up (atrophies) for unknown reasons.
- Iodine deficiency —The thyroid gland does not get enough iodine to produce thyroid hormone (this is rare in the United States).
- Iodine excess —Certain foods (such as shellfish) and certain medicines (such as cough medicine) contain large amounts of iodine, which can block thyroid hormone production (rare).
- Infiltrative illnesses —Cancers and certain infections.
- Pituitary adenoma —A benign tumor of the pituitary gland that can cause a problem signaling the thyroid to make thyroid hormones.
- Postpartum thyroiditis —This condition usually improves but may be long lasting.
- Congenital hypothyroidism —An infant that is born with problems making normal amounts of thyroid hormones.
Garber JR, Hennessey JV, et al. Clinical update. Managing the challenges of hypothyroidism. J Fam Pract. 2006;55:S1-8.
Hypothyroidism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 19, 2012. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Hypothyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service website. Available at: http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/Hypothyroidism/. Updated February 27, 2012. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Vanderpump MPJ, Tunbridge WMG, et al. The incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: a twenty-year follow-up of the Whickham survey. Clin Endocrinol. 1995; 43:55.
- Reviewer: Kim A. Carmichael, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -